Saturday, September 28, 2013

Kids' craft: Toddler Sewing Kit

My earliest memories of sewing are of using scraps of fabric from my mother's sewing to wrap my dolls in new clothes. I feel very lucky to have been taught this useful skill, mostly just through watching and learning, and I would really love if I could pass it on to my own daughter, who is now almost 3 years old. So I started her a sewing kit...




A lot of pieces were bought on Ebay, like these large plastic needles and wooden beads. I used non slip drawer lining from the $2 shop and a quilting frame for sewing practice. Miss almost three loves threading the beads on and has really caught on quickly to how to sew with the needle. The next thing I need to teach her is how to thread the needle :)





I threw in a few miscellaneous items like some velcro, ribbon, zippers and ric rac.





I made these dinosaurs for threading out of craft foam and a hole punch. She loves sewing these.




I was sent this colour chart from an Etsy seller when I made a purchase a while back and picked up the paper tape measure at an Ikea store.





I also included some plastic cotton reels for threading and colour sorting.




Finally, a bulk bag of buttons from the fabric shop. We spend hours sorting these into colour groups :)




2 comments:

  1. This is very cute. My daughter so much wants to sew with me. This would be the right kind of kit for her ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Beth. I hope that you were able to put a kit together for your daughter and that she enjoys it as much as mine does!

      Delete