Monday, September 14, 2015

All about me!

In the Riches and Roses sewing room it is rarely about me. It is usually all about sewing for my children and making kids' items for my etsy store. But a month or so ago I went through my fabric stash and found some fabrics that I wanted to put to use for myself.

Peppermint is an excellent magazine that I love to read when I can find or make the time. Their website has some really great free sewing patterns available with comprehensive instructions. This top that I made is called the Harvest Top (http://peppermintmag.com/other/sewing-school/) and it was easy to make. Just be aware that the size estimate is quite generous and the shoulders can end up quite loose. Mine has needed some adjustment.


This little A-line skirt is still in need of a hook and eye at the waist, but it's as good as done. I based it on one of the many free tutorials that are available online. I love a pattern that is based on measurements and a formula, rather than cutting out a million paper pieces to stick together, so this was perfect. I chose to use bias binding for the waist, but you could use facing instead. I had a new little bias binding tool to try out :)


This little top was super simple and just based on a picture I saw on Pinterest. I'm still a bit nervous about cutting into stretch fabric without a pattern, so I used an old T-shirt as a model and cut a paper pattern off it. It turned out a great fit.


I made a great top (or 2) from a free pattern I found online ages ago at https://blog.colettehq.com/news/free-pattern-to-download-the-sorbetto-top. I decided to play around a bit with the pattern to make a dress out of some red linen fabric I had in my stash and trim it with a Japanese style cotton. I love the result. It was a bit lumpy in the front, so I also made a belt to go with it.



The picture doesn't look like much with the top laying flat, but this top is very sweet and so comfy. I followed the tutorial at http://morningbymorningproductions.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/gathered-dolman-sleeve-top-tutorial.html and was really happy with the result. The drape is really flattering.


After all of that selfish sewing, it's time to get ready for the upcoming warm weather and make some shorts and skirts for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment